An accident involving an automobile and a pedestrian can be a terrifying experience. These accidents often result in serious or life-threatening injuries. Even traveling at a speed of 10 mph, an automobile can still inflict severe injuries on a pedestrian.
If you were hit by a motor vehicle, there are some things you should do right away:
- Call the police. Unlike a vehicle vs vehicle accident, police are required to respond when a pedestrian is hit.
- Seek medical attention if needed.
- Get the driver’s name, address, and insurance information. If a police officer responds, she or he can assist you with that.
- Obtain the photos of the scene and vehicle that hit you. Be sure to get one of the license plate.
- If you have your own car insurance policy, you should contact it right away. Oregon law requires that your Personal Injury Protection benefits are primary. Getting the insurance claims set up correctly early on can save you additional hassle
An accident involving a pedestrian is a scary situation for all involved. OlsenDaines has the attorneys and resources to help if you have been involved in this kind of situation. Contact us at 1-800-682-9568 to meet with one of our personal injury attorneys.